Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary Ahmedabad Entry Fee
|Sr. No.||Details||Mon to Fri||Sat - Sun|
|1||Entry Fees (Indian)||₹40.00||₹50.00|
|1. Abhiruchi kendra||₹10.00||₹10.00|
|2. Ride towards the lake||₹20.00||₹20.00|
|Total Per Person (1 + 2)||₹75.00||₹85.00|
|3||Entry Fees for foreigner||$10||$12.50|
|Bus / Truck||₹50||₹50|
|6||50% off for children of 5 to 12 years|
Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary Ahmedabad Boating Charges
|7||Personal Boat (Up to 6 Person)||₹1320|
Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary Ahmedabad Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 26 reviews
Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary Ahmedabad Address: Bagodara Nalsarovar Link Road, Nalsarovar, Gujarat, 382150, India
Ahmedabad Tour Packages
Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary Ahmedabad Timings
|Monday||6:00 am – 5:30 pm|
|Tuesday||6:00 am – 5:30 pm|
|Wedesday||6:00 am – 5:30 pm|
|Thursday||6:00 am – 5:30 pm|
|Friday||6:00 am – 5:30 pm|
|Saturday||6:00 am – 5:30 pm|
|Sunday||6:00 am – 5:30 pm|
Nal Sarovar literally translates to ‘Tap Lake’. The resemblance is in the fact that this famous tourist attraction houses various different kinds of bird species which in turn are attracted to this lake.It has many small islands (records say 36) and the region is spread over a large area such that the birds can roam about without any conflict among the different species . This bird sanctuary is located at about 64 km to the west of Ahmedabad near Sanand village,Gujarat.
The most popular aspect of this tourist attraction is the wide variety and different myriad of migratory birds that can be enjoyed. Nalsarovar wetland, in Gujarat, is deemed as the biggest wetland bird sanctuary in the state. As many as 200 different species of birds can be discerned and enjoyed. The birds migrate from as far as Siberia,Oman,UAE etc. Apart from these, typical species like pelicans,ducks,herons and storks can be found easily.
It is highly recommended to visit Nalsarovar because of the different species of birds you’ll get to see. These birds migrate from places like Siberia,Oman,UAE,Yemen etc. There are also various indigenous bird species. Picnic spots are available for those people looking to enjoy the scenic view of tall grasslands and marshes with flock of birds around. Thus, even travellers who are looking for a calm place to spend their vacations are welcome here.
Tourists will be greatly interested in birdwatching,horse rides and boat rides and of course, enjoy the local food and handicraft items. For the traveller who is keen to learn more about the different bird species he encounters, there is an information centre that has been established to provide information regarding different species of birds, their migration patterns, food habits etc.
Architecture of Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary
The geographical architecture of Nal Sarovar Lake can be described as a low-lying area between Central Gujarat and East Saurashtra. Although the number of islands in Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary are debatable, the official records mention 36 small islands, while locals estimate more than 100 small islands.
This sanctuary consists of various kinds of trees,including the locally famous ‘pilu’ trees which harbour a red berry type edible fruit.There are many small lakes and the vegetation is scattered with dense forests, marshlands & wetlands,medium to tall grasslands and huge fields. As an overview, all of these natural beauty and geography allow for a serene place like Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary to be formed.
History of Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary
Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary was a low-lying area making up a sea link. As time passed, various species of birds from surrounding region started to migrate in these areas due to the plentiful availability of freshwater and food. Soon, as many as 210 species of birds were attracted to Nal Sarovar thereby making it a bird sanctuary.
By April of 1969, Nal Sarovar was declared a bird sanctuary attracting over as many as 210 different species of birds.
Nalsarovar was declared as a Ramsar site on 24 September 2012. A Ramsar site is a wetland site that has been given an international importance by the Ramsar Convention.
Image Gallery of Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary Ahmedabad
Things to do at Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary
There are a myriad of activities to do at Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary. One can opt for the classic birdwatching using a pair of binoculars or telescopes, chill out with a live barbeque session near the banks of the lakes or enjoy a horse ride. Some of the activities include:-
1. Visitors can take a horse ride at lakeside Nalsarovar national park. The charges start from as low as Rs.50. The visitor will be assigned a horse along with the groom i.e. the person who maintains the horse. The horse ride usually lasts for 20 minutes but can be extended by paying some extra money.
2. For the tourist who is looking to learn more about the species of birds,an Information centre is provided. It consists of many kinds of models of bird species along-with their history,origin,food habits,unique attributes etc. A map is also provided in this centre so that a tourist can easily identify the location of his/her favourite bird. Apart from these, there are also details about the Nal Sarovar itself along-with its history.
3. One day picnic spots are available for the casual traveller. Huge fields near these picnic spots allow for setting up a volleyball court or football games with the kids. Even live barbeque or food counters can be set up if appropriate cooking equipment is brought along. The picnic areas are clean and surprisingly, there’s no such problems as mosquito/insect bites.
4. Tourists can book boat rides in the lakes present in Nal Sarovar. These boat rides allow for deeper exploration of the Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary and offer better chances of spotting a rare species of a bird. The boat ride journey starts from the place where the boat is booked upto Dhrabla Island or BET as called by the locals and includes a return. On certain islands,watchtowers have been constructed to enjoy the view of the lake from.
5. For the foodie kind of traveller,there are small huts where kathiyawadi thali that consists of three different types of vegetables, indian bread aka bajra ki roti, gudh (jaggery), butter and chutney is served by the local vendors. All the vendors sell food at a similar rate of around Rs.150 per plate. Gathiya, the classic gujrati snack, is also available with almost all of the vendors.
Entry fee and timings of Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary
The entry fee for Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary is Rs. 75/- per Indian visitors on weekdays and Rs. 85 on weekends. For foreigners, the entry fee is $10 on weekdays and $12.50 on weekends.
Cameras are allowed but a small fee of Rs.200 for Indian tourists and $20 for foreign tourists is charged.
Parking facility is available just outside the entry of Nal Sarovar, approx. 1 km from the lakeside and the fee for 2 wheelers is Rs.10 while that of 3 or 4 wheeler is Rs.20 and for bus or truck it is Rs. 50.
To promote more visitors, 50% off is provided to children aged between 5 to 12.
If one opts for the boat rides, it costs Rs.220 per individual and Rs.1320 for a complete private boat consisting of max. six individuals.
The sanctuary is open on all weekdays and even on weekends including Sundays. The opening and closing times are 6:00 am till 5:30 pm respectively.
Places to visit near Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary
Places near Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary are also recommended due to their own set of unique experience that each of the following place provides:-
1. Utelia - Utelia is a small village that is situated at 75 km from Ahmedabad or 42 km from Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary on Bhavnagar highway. It has a famous heritage hotel and lothal excavations of the Indus valley civilization that can be found at around 6 km from Utelia. It is highly recommended for heritage travellers.
2. Wadhwan - It is an important centre for weaving,bandhani, brass handicrafts,metalcrafts etc. Various types of handicrafts and ornaments that are indigenous to Gujarat can be found here. Wadhwan lies midway between Rajkot and Ahmedabad near Surendranagar at approx. 37 km from Sayla. This destination is a shopper’s paradise for tourists looking to buy some indigenous,handmade gifts for their loved ones. The items are cheap and being handmade, are very intricate and detailed.
3. Ahmedabad - Ahmedabad is located at a distance of 64 km from Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary and is worth a visit for anybody who wants to experience the urban,modern Gujarat. Consisting of well-connected roads with a complete traffic regulation system, it is a place that is an amalgamation of heritage,culture and business. Ahmedabad has some of the famous manufacturing hubs including that of mobile phones, TVs and other electronics and is thus a popular city to visit for business travellers.
Interesting facts about Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary
Some interesting facts about this popular tourist destination are:-
1. There are as many as 210 species of birds in the winter,out of which 140 are water birds and the rest 70 are migratory birds. Out of these 70, only 25 to 30 are easily observable and the rest require a deeper exploration into the wildlands.
2. In the past, there was no access to clean drinking water for the tourists and hence the visitors needed to carry their own drinking water. But now there is a reverse osmosis plant that has been established to offer pure drinking water to visitors.
3. Migratory birds can be seen popping up at Nal Sarovar in the month of October and remain till April. However, the time you would want to visit would probably range from the month of November to January because at that time, the migrated population is at its peak. When March ends, flamingo flocks of huge sizes arrive here.
Things to keep in mind while visiting Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary
Do keep in mind the following tips:-
1. Bargain with the boatmen during boat rides to prevent getting ripped off. You may contact a boatman beforehand to get cheaper rates.
2. Carry a pair of binoculars, drinking water,cameras and some gathiya snacks to attract more birds.
3. Visit a washroom before embarking on a journey to this place as restrooms are scarce.
4. There is no 3G/4G network coverage so plan accordingly.
How to reach Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary
Nal Sarovar bird sanctuary near Sanand village can be reached by a personal vehicle or taxi from top car rental companies in Ahmedabad. Buses are scarce and there is no fixed accommodation to be found anywhere near,hence it is recommended to book a stay near Ahmedabad where various resorts are easily available. This problem has been addressed by Gujarat Tourism who now offer luxury tents near the lake.
To make your visit to Ahmedabad an unforgettable holiday experience, we at Ahmedabad Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA have designed Ahmedabad Tour packages that are easy on your pocket. To know more about the various packages, please fill the Contact Us form and we will get back to you.